Wednesday, April 6, 2011

External Beam Radiation Therapy

More than 15 years ago I consulted a wise old man, a homeopath,  He used iridology and said that my only problem was in my lower organs (i.e. my prostate). How right he was! He gave me homeopathic and herbal treatments but I didn't persevere with it. If I had taken more notice of him I would not have needed the hormone or radiation treatment I describe below.
I had a lot of complaints about the hormone treatment (Zoladek), but after the radiation treatments it was not so easy to say what treatment caused what side effects. I'd lost my comparison points.
In 2007 I consulted a naturopath operating out of the local chemist shop. He again used iridology, but he didn't seem as accurate as that original homeopath.

Thursday, 22 February 2007: They seemed very nice: Con had done the imaging back in December; Shona had helped him (she disappeared again until near the end of treatment); Daniel was supportive, but didn't follow through; Belinda, I could have fallen in love with her once, very sweet; and Karen, a Chinese Australian, whom I would come to know as bubbly and fun. The problem was that they kept changing.
I was given an appointments card on that first day with my first week of daily appointments filled in. The plan was that I should go to the Appointments Clerk each day and hand in my card. She would note my appointment a week ahead, plus make any other changes. This clerk introduced me to a nurse who ran through the process of what was to happen. She gave me a tube of Sorbolene cream saying that the radiation would eventually burn my skin, like sunburn. She also warned me that eventually I wouldn't be able to use the bus, but didn't say why. Incontinence? What?
I was then taken to the Waiting Room in suite 2, which is on the third floor, which is really the ground floor. The nurse told the radiology staff that I had arrived, and I waited. More measurements were made and I was told to come back for treatment the next day.
I had a lot of waiting over the six weeks of treatment. I read a lot of books in that waiting room: part-read Vogler's The Writer's Journey; read David Lodge's Nice Work, read William Chapman's second book What lies did I say?, and started reading Chapman's Small World.
3pm appointment Friday, 23 February 2007: Radiology staff relaxed before the weekend, ready to go home, hoping to get an "early minute", excited questions "What've you got on?"
Abba played loudly in the treatment room. I joked that this was not the best music to stay still by. I was scared to move for fear they would radiate the wrong spot. They did ask my preferred music.
When I arrived I was instructed to undo my trousers and push my underpants down, then climb on to this bed (or platform) in the centre of the room. But I could leave my boots on. On the table I had to push my trousers and underpants further down and pull my shirt up (best to have it already partly unbuttoned). Rest hands on my chest. They then do their measurements, marked me all over, and turned on the machine which lit up the areas to be targeted.
A light and burring noise told me when the radiation was working. The machine slowly moved round me to do the fours spots, beaming down each time. The side opposite the radiating beam had a big flat x-ray. This was later removed.
Mobiles don't work in the room (lead sealed?). Staff leave the room before the radiation begins. Often different people come back to clean up and bring in the next person.
The buses were great for going into the hospital - enough time for me to go for fruit and vegetables to juice - part of my fight back. Despite my original good intentions I only walked home a couple of times. Mostly caught the bus as fatigue set in - more waiting time, more reading.
Tuesday, 27 February 2007: Feeling a bit uncomfortable after the 9am radiation.
Wednesday, 28 February 2007: 4.10pm radiation and then back to the waiting room to wait for Prof Y or his proxy. This time it was Dr Jo, another Asian registrar, who was sure he'd met me before. I assured him I hadn't and I missed Wan.
I complained about the urgency and frequency of my need to go to the toilet and my tiredness. I also asked if I needed to delay my next hormone injection given the resulting small size of my prostate and the problem this might cause for my brachytherapy. He didn't think I needed to delay the injection but said that he'd find out.
Friday, 2 March 2007: 10.20 radiation. More questioning about my weekend. I decided to talk about my anxiety-ridden adventures with Saturday dog training classes for my wife's out of control German Shepherd. That provided an endless supply of stories.
Wednesday, 7 March 2007: 3.20pm radiation and then back to the waiting room for appointment with Prof Y. I actually saw Prof Y who said that there was no point in delaying the hormone injections because the shrinking of the prostate occurs in the first few months of medication. He did a rectal check and said the prostate was flatter on one side. He joked that I would not tolerate him doing that in a couple more weeks of radiation.
That night I felt like I'd been through a wringer.
Friday, 9 March 2007: 2.40pm radiation. Plenty of time time to meet with Karen and Travel Agent in the morning to finalise arrangements for our Pacific cruise.
Monday, 12 March 2007: A public holiday. Good to have a nice long break of three days from the radiation.
Tuesday, 13 march 2007: 8.20am radiation appointment. Missed the 7.43am local bus. Walked down to the main road but none of the buses there stopped. They were all full. I walked into the city at a frantic pace but I did not arrive until 9am. Traffic was heavy because of crowds and blocked streets for the Clipsal car race. I worried. I could not afford to stuff this up. I tried to phone ahead but no one answered in radiology. When I finally got there I was told it was okay.
Wednesday, 14 march 2007: 2.40pm radiation. I again saw Dr Jo. He gave me tablets to stop the gastric but advised against them because they made it painful to poo. The nurse had previously given me a useful sheet on foods to avoid - no more breakfast cereal for awhile.
But I've not made it to the toilet a couple of times at home. I just had to cough and something comes out. My bowels had become an area of preoccupation. I now had to plan ahead regarding toilet locations if I was going out.
Monday, 19 March 2007: Gastric now really bad. Daniel asked if I'd seen the nutritionist, but I replied that he hadn't arranged the appointment as he said he would.
Tuesday, 20 March 2007: 11.30am radiation. Radiology staff all changing again. Problem finally fixed with the machine. Very simple technical issue, but meant there were no longer the delays up til now. Sometimes I'm now seen early.
Wednesday, 21 March 2007: 2.40pm radiation. Also saw prof Y. I explained I only took my first anti-gastric tablet today. I didn't want an accident while on the table with a lot of young women attendants. I told Prof Y I trusted him and felt that I was in good hands. This pleased him.
That night I felt relieved. This was a new feeling. I thought I had turned a corner and the cancer was being beaten, broken.
Monday, 26 march 2007: 11.40 radiation. I was getting sore down there. Prof Y said that the radiation irritated the organs and bowel lining. He said that the white stuff that I was shitting was mucous.
Wednesday, 28 March 2007: 2.00pm radiation. My last visit with Prof Y before the brachytherapy. Even he was confused when the radiology would finish because of the public holiday. A good thing the appointment system appeared to work. He said that I might see my private urologist Dr W at the hospital - three months about with him (or his proxy). I love Prof Y and said that I didn't want to lose him. (Actually I said that I didn't mind whom I went to for treatment.)
Friday, 30 March 2007: 2:00pm radiation. Made appointment with GP for my next Zoladek injection - no way out of that.
Monday, 2 April 2007: A big day. Pre-op preparation at 8.30am, and then radiology at 12pm.
Had to wait as usual - various stages to go through. See the clerk - sit down - see the nurse - basic checks - see the anaesthetist (he didn't know if it was to be a general or spinal?), says he probably wont be my anaesthetist on the day. The anaesthetist talked about the robot that would be delivering my treatment - now used for a lot of cancers (e.g., throat and lung) - where ever can be got to easily.
Given information on preparing for admission - 2 enemas the night before, 2 enemas in the morning. Ring the day before to find out when to go in. Saw a registrar who did a general check then up to another level of the hospital for an EEG - all good. Didn't take long. Said that I was very healthy. Hah!
Tuesday, 3 April 2007: 12pm radiation. Final. Got a little badge from the Anti-Cancer Foundation. Thanked everyone, Fed up with it but there'll be parts I'll miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment